Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cornus Kousa - Revisited

Back in May, I wrote about our Japanese Flowering Dogwood.  As predicted, the tree now has a mass of edible fruit.


I guess I'm not really as brave as I like to think I am.  I did break one open and nibble on it.  The taste was pleasant, but the texture was a little mealy and put me off.  I didn't eat the outside red part, and there just wasn't much pulp on the inside.  It looks like it is possible to make jam from the fruit, but that seems like it might have texture issues as well.  It's possible the fruit on my tree is not yet fully mature.  I'll be trying them again over the next few weeks, so I'll report any change in taste or texture (along with any side-effects).

According to wikipedia, the fruit of the Kousa Dogwood are actually compound berries!  Even though I wouldn't grow this tree exclusively for its berries, they are attractive hanging from the tree and provide food for wildlife.  Between spring flowers, late summer fruit, and pleasant bark/structure in winter, I feel comfortable calling the Japanese Flowering Dogwood a plant with year-round interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment