Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Exfoliation

Exfoliation usually refers to the removal or loss of leaves from a plant, either as part of the plant's natural life cycle or due to some other cause (pests, disease, weather, etc.).  Over the next few weeks, I'll be posting a lot about exfoliation!


Peeling Bark

Some trees also have exfoliating bark.  These photos show my crapemyrtle, but other trees with exfoliating bark include river birch, paperbark maple, and shagbark hickory.  As these trees grow, the outer layer of their bark is split and eventually replaced with then new bark underneath.  The difference in color and the texture of the bark adds interest, especially in winter.  The process also helps the tree rid itself of scales, insects, bacteria, fungi, lichens, and mosses.


Bark Debris

As far as the bark on my crapemyrtle goes, I don't find it nearly as appealing as the exfoliating bark on a river birch.  It's, honestly, pretty messy.  You're not supposed to peel the bark off to help the tree along, so a lot of times, the bark on my crapemyrtle just hangs there.  When it comes down, it piles up in the joint of the trunks or makes a mess in the bed.  However, the patterns that are left once it comes off are really beautiful and add a lot to the already attractive multi-trunk structure.

4 comments:

  1. I have that kind of crepe myrtle, too. I actually love the peeling bark. It's great mulch and a weed deterrent. And I too love the beautiful trunk that's revealed underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the bark of the birch is more attractive than the crape myrtle, but I do like the final product of the crape myrtle. It seems so soft and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @HolleyGarden - it's funny that you mention the peeling bark is a weed deterrent...I'm complaining away about how bad the bark looks and the bed underneath is shabby and full of weeds! All of my beds out front need a good weeding and a top layer of mulch, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @The Sage Butterfly -- I really love the way the smooth trunks look...they call out for you to touch them, I swear!

    ReplyDelete