Monday, October 3, 2011

Look what I found: Acer palmatum

What a weekend!  We went camping and got rained out almost immediately.  I was a little relieved -- since we came home early, maybe I would be able to get some work done in the yard, right?  Of course not.  The bag worms are still out front.  I still have plants to divide/trim/bring inside.  It looks like we need to rake already...

Spring
For the last few weeks, it has been ridiculously gray and rainy.  Fall is here with a vengeance and it will only be a matter of time before the leaves start to fall.  My native dogwood trees look like they're starting to change color.  But I can't show you because I haven't taken pictures outside in at least two weeks.


Summer
 So, here are some older pictures.  This is a Japanese maple tree from our front yard.  It is a really nice, mature, specimen tree.  In the spring, the leaves are a deep maroon.  Over the summer, they lighten until they are almost green.  I'm excited to see what they do in the fall.

Bark

The tree has a really nice structure and bark.  It's right next to the crapemyrtle and their multiple trunks kind of echo each other.  This is also my daughter's favorite tree.  She's able to swing on the lowest branch and has even been able to climb up it quite a bit.  As a former tree-climber, that just warms my heart.

I hope to get out sometime this week to try and capture some of the changes fall is bringing as well as finish some of the "clean-up" that needs to be done.  Are you starting to see signs of fall in your garden?

1 comment: