Friday, September 9, 2011

Azaleas - Again!

For the past two or three weeks, the azaleas in the front island have been blooming.  Again.


It looks like there are a couple of different "brands" of reblooming azaleas: Encore Azaleas, Bloom-a-thon, and Bloom 'N Again.  I haven't been able to identify ours (yet).


As you can see in the wider picture above, these azaleas are getting pretty leggy.  According to the Encore azalea website, they do not need much pruning...which made me think these are possibly not Encore azaleas.  Does this plant look familiar to you?

The bigger question is, when should I prune these azaleas?  From what I've read, you should prune regular azaleas when they're done blooming in the spring.  I'm going to prune these when they're done blooming this fall.  It's possible I'll lose some spring flowers, but with the show that goes on in my front yard, no one will even notice.   I'd almost prefer to get them on a late summer/fall schedule.

How do you feel about plants designed to bloom "out of season"?

No comments:

Post a Comment