Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Coleus

The coleus I bought back in May is downright enormous.  Although I don't have a lot flowering right now, the coleus and potato vines provide a lot of interest.  Let's hear it for foliage!


I've been so happy with the annuals in containers all summer, I'm looking for a cheap way to have more next year.  This will involve a combination of cuttings, tubers, and overwintering.  It's all very exciting.


Of course, not everything has done well.  This pot didn't have a drainage hole and the coleus ended up essentially drowning.  I'll have to take a drill to the bottom of it before next year or just start using it for houseplants indoors.

Our first frost is usually at the end of October, so I've been really busy over the past few weekends taking cuttings, re-potting houseplants that are moving back indoors, and generally cleaning up.  Over the next few weeks, I'll also be planting hundreds of bulbs and raking.  Who knew that a garden in the fall is almost as much work as a garden in the spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment