Thursday, September 1, 2011

Look what I found: Lagerstroemia indica


Also known as crapemyrtle, crape myrtle, or crepe myrtle.  There is a lot of discussion online about how to spell the common name of this plant.  For fairly arbitrary reasons, I typically spell it as crapemyrtle.

We have a fairly large multi-trunk crapemyrtle tree with white flowers and really attractive peeling bark.


From a cursory search, I believe this might be a Natchez variety due to the bloom time (it's reblooming now), bloom color, bark color and size.  I've never been a huge crapemyrtle fan, but I do really enjoy this tree and have taken about a bazillion pictures of the trunks.


Even the seed capsules from the previous blooms provide interest

I'm not quite as fond of our other crapemyrtle.



It's only just now starting to bloom.  The blooms are garish and it doesn't have any of the winter interest the tree has...in the winter, it looks like a dead shrub.  Since it takes quite a while for crapemyrtles to leaf out in the spring, I really found this shrub to be an eyesore.  Of course, it could just be the entire area of the island I object to.


I'll wait until the entire bush is in bloom before I pass judgement, but I have a feeling this shrub will be moving at some point next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment