Thursday, September 22, 2011

Look what I found: Sedum

Sedum is one of those plants recommended to beginning gardeners.  It's impossible to kill, you don't have to worry about watering it, and most forms spread easily without being invasive.

It blooms in the late summer and the flower heads last into the Fall.  Some people even leave the stalks/flower heads on over the entire winter for interest.  I think because sedum is so easy and is used everywhere, more seasoned gardeners can be a little snobbish about it.



I'm not one of those gardeners.  I love sedum, in all of its forms and was excited to find this variety in the bed out front.  The flowers are so pink and dainty - not the red I usually associate with sedum.  I can't wait to see how the blooms develop as the season goes on.

Sedum, showing a little damage from deer and other pests

This area has been chomped on by deer repeatedly over the summer.  The sedum recovered fairly well, although it's much shorter than it would have been if it hadn't been bothered.  I was so encouraged by the way it rebounded from the damage, I ended up getting some more from Home Depot for the fence border in the backyard. 

Yes, I broke my solemn vow not to shop at big box stores, but they were selling large perennials 3 for 10 dollars.  What can I say, my will power is fairly non-existent...

No comments:

Post a Comment