Monday, April 25, 2011

Look what I found: Brunnera macrophylla

Brunnera macrophylla is also know as Siberian Bugloss.  I've seen the 'Jack Frost' variety in plant catalogs before, but something about the variagation put me off and I never really considered it for my garden.


It looks as if we have the general variety.  I prefer this to the variegated form and find it quite charming.  The bright green leaves form a substantial clump of foliage and the dainty flowers remind me of forget-me-nots.  They are about a foot high and have about a foot spread.  I'm not sure if the previous owners planted a single plant or a handful, but they've spread all along the woodland path.

The brunnera is along the left side - look for the large heart-shaped leaves
Brunnera prefers partial shade and average well-drained soil.  With time, it will naturalize, spreading by rhizomes and through self-seeding.  There are several variagated varieties that are not quite as silver as 'Jack Frost'.  However, these varieties ('Hadspen Cream', 'Langtrees', and 'Dawson's White') seem to lose their variagation as they spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment