Thursday, April 28, 2011

Look what I found: Rhododendron ???

Sometimes I think I'm the most contrary person on earth.

When we first moved into the old house, I planted three azaleas in an empty bed out front.  The poor little bushes limped along but they just didn't do well.  After a couple of years, I admitted defeat and pulled them out.

In our small, sunny backyard, I wanted to make a "woodland corner".  In the shadiest corner of the yard, under a wild cherry tree, I had planned it all out: a dogwood tree, a rhododendron, a mountain laurel and three azaleas.

I dreamed of those azaleas.  I looked at different varieties, their bloom color, their bloom time, their habit, whether they were deciduous or evergreen.  I. wanted. those. azaleas.

The new house has a lot of azaleas.  Dozens.  I haven't been able to count the total number of bushes yet, so I tried to count the varieties, and then I just settled for counting the colors (there are eight distinct colors of azaleas in the new yard).


I should be thrilled, and I am...mostly.  It is very nice to have such a burst of spring color.

But now that I have more azaleas than I can count, here are the things I'm not so thrilled about:
  • Some of the varieties are a little gaudy.
  • Most of the azaleas we have are evergreen, but they look pretty shabby over the winter.
  • Once they're done blooming, they're just going to sit there.  They don't have great shape, great foliage, or great summer/fall interest.
  • There is at least one azalea in every single cultivated bed in the front and back yard.

So - do I adjust my attitude or adjust my garden?

For now, I'm going to adjust my attitude.

This one is my favorite. - possibly R. 'Madame Butterfly'
.

1 comment: