Saturday, April 23, 2011

A plant I fancy: Amelanchier canadensis

*Updated to ensure pictures are properly credited
Scientific name: Amelanchier canadensis
Common name(s): serviceberry, juneberry, shadblow
Height x Width: 25-30' x 15-20'
Growth rate: Unknown
Hardiness: Zones 4-8
Soil: Tolerant of a wide-range of soils
Light: Full sun to partial shade


Courtesy Missouri Botanical Garden PlantFinder


Reasons I like it:
 - Flowering tree
 - Native
 - Attracts birds
 - Showy, edible fruit
 - Has fall color
 - Multi-stemmed trunks provide winter interest 

Where would I put it?
 - In the front island


I admit it - I've fallen for all of the latest gardening trends like native plants, edible landscaping, and winter interest.  The serviceberry covers all of these in one fell swoop. 

The species that I'm interested in, Amelanchier canadensis, is native to Maryland and is really more of a multi-stemmed shrub.  It produces delicate white flowers in early spring, which eventually turn into small berries very similar to blueberries in the early summer.  The serviceberry is known for its bright fall foliage, which seems to span a range of colors from gold to red.  In the winter time, the multi stemmed trunks and smooth bark provide some interest and structure in the garden.

Do you think that serviceberries and other native plants will seem dated one day?

1 comment:

  1. I think there need to be more of these trees around, especially in the fall. I'm pretty sure my old apartment complex in Cockeysville had some of these, and they were really pretty when the leaves changed, especially next to these larger trees that turned bright yellow.

    ReplyDelete