Monday, April 18, 2011

Look what I found: fritillaria meleagris

I found my camera!

Saturday was a horrible rainy mess, but on Sunday morning I was able to walk around the yard with my wonderful husband.  I took pictures until the memory card was full.

One of the first things we found was this beautiful little flower.



It  is so dainty, I thought it might be some sort of spring ephemeral...like a trout lily or something?

After some Internet research, I believe it is a fritillaria meleagris.


Fritllaria meleagris is commonly known as the Checkered Lily, the Guinea -hen Flower, or the Snake's Head Lily.  According to Wikipedia, it is the only species of Fritillary native to Great Britain.  There is a great deal more information available at one of my favorite plant websites, Paghat's Garden.

Ours (we only found one) is growing in the shade of a large juniper bush.  It's very sweet and I think I'll have to get some more to plant in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment