Sunday, April 17, 2011

Weekend Project: Recycling KCups

We use a Keurig brewer at my office.  I really like the convenience of being able to brew a cup at a time, but I do feel a little guilty about how much is wasted.  As far as I know, recycling centers do not accept KCups.

I decided to take a bunch of KCups home, clean them out, and use them to grow seeds.

Step 1: Peel off foil top

Step 2: Dump out grounds
  
Step 3: Remove filter

Step 4: Save grounds for composting
Step 5: Rinse and line up
Step 6: Fill with seed starter and add seeds

These are cheaper than jiffy pots and I feel better about the Keurig because the KCups are being reused.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea for reusing K-cups. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea what K Cups were before this post, so I learned two things. Very cool idea. Recycling is a big deal down here. It's actually against the law to throw plastic bottles in the trash.

    What are you growing in these?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just using these to grow some cheap and cheerful annuals (zinnias, four o'clocks, marigolds, cleome, etc.).

    I wouldn't recommend K Cups for growing rare or precious seeds because the risk of "damping off" is too high. I noticed that some of the K Cups had mold in their grounds when I was cleaning them out (it seemed to be tea K Cups, rather than the coffee cups).

    If I do this again next year, I'm going to rinse them with a diluted bleach. If I was growing something really special from seed, I would probably purchase new sterile jiffy pots.

    ReplyDelete