Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Favorites: The Baltimore Herb Festival

This Saturday is the 24th annual Baltimore Herb Festival.



The Baltimore Herb Festival is a great day out - it is fun for the whole family.  I've been going since I was a kid. 

Even when I was an awful teenager, I enjoyed going to the Herb Festival with my parents.  I remember, during probably my worst years, I decided I was going to start an herb garden.  This was in the mid-nineties when herbs were getting pretty popular.
I did some research and came up with a list of completely random plants to buy.  Vervain (because it was mentioned in the Vampire Diaries), pennyroyal (from a Nirvana song), and valerian (to treat depression).  Hard core research, huh?  Pretty typical for teenager me.

The herbs were so "interesting", we couldn't find there anywhere except for the Herb Festival.  Well, the valerian smelled like a rotting corpse after it flowered.  The vervain self-seeded so readily  it took years for my parents to eradicate it.  The pennyroyal jumped over the edge of the bed and is still in parts of my parents lawn.

Good times!

Besides the typical plant vendors, there will be people selling bulbs, soaps and cosmetics, food, art, crafts, books, garden decorations and antiques.

I'm particularly excited to see:
 A complete list of vendors is available here: http://www.baltimoreherbfestival.com/vendors.htm.

There will also be speakers, bands, and exhibitors at the festival.  Admission is $5 for adults and children 12 and under are free.  (If you're planning on bringing your kids, there's a miniature train that gives rides to children just outside the festival entrance -- not really gardening-related, but still pretty cool.)

http://www.baltimoreherbfestival.com/index.html
May 28, 2011 - 10am-3pm
Held in Leakin Park
1900 Eagle Drive
Baltimore, MD  21207

No comments:

Post a Comment