Friday, May 20, 2011

A plant I fancy: Origanum 'Kent Beauty'

Scientific name: Origanum 'Kent Beauty'
Common name(s): Oregano, marjoram (?)
Height x Width: 6-12" x 9-12"
Growth rate: Grows well, but not invasive
Hardiness: Zones 6-9, may not winter over in cooler zones
Soil: Prefers well-drained soil, do not over water
Light: Full sun to partial shade
This ornamental oregano is a hybrid of O. rotundifolium x O. scabrum.  It is not suitable for culinary use, rather it is grown for its cascading foliage and long-lasting bracts which change from green to lavender to pink.
 
Reasons I like it:
  • I love the trailing habit of this plant
  • It's fairly unique - the bracts are different and I haven't seen it all over the place
  • It should be deer resistant...that's becoming more of a necessity
Where would I put it?
  • On the deck in a planter or hanging basket
  • In the mailbox or driveway bed
  • (My options for sun are pretty limited)
I've had my eye on 'Kent Beauty' for a couple of years now.  I should have gotten it while I lived at the old house -- the yard there was much better suited for a plant that needs full sun and well drained soil.
I guess I've had my fill of shade plants for now, because I've decided to give this plant a try.  Some of the reviews online claimed it did not do well in areas with high humidity and others claimed it did not overwinter in cooler climates.  I look forward to trying it out and reporting back.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment