Friday, May 6, 2011

Garden Parts: The Driveway

This bed is on the opposite side of the driveway from the mailbox bed.  It's a quite a jumble of plants and weeds.


I would like to make this bed match the mailbox bed as much as possible.  One thing I like about it is that it has the bright red azalea, which is also in the mailbox bed and on the far corner of our front yard.  I think those three azaleas help show the boundaries of our front yard and unify three seperate areas.  Another great thing about this bed is it doesn't look quite so dead over the winter because of all the evergreen shrubs.


Right now, the bed features a mugo pine and a bird's nest spruce up front, which I plan on keeping and trimming.  There's another unidentified evergreen shrub which I'll keep, a clump of volunteer holly I will probably pull up, and a fairly stunted nandina .  As far as perennials go, there are some fall chrysanthemums practically underneath the Mugo Pine (I'll try to move these), there are some plants that look like they could be daylillies, and there's  a cluster of Sedum.  In addition to the large red azalea, I found a tiny pink azalea (basically one stick, three leaves, and one flower).  There are also a lot of weeds, saplings, and debris that need to be cleaned up.

A tree growing through an azalea.
Since the mailbox bed is not going to be designed until next year, I guess I'll focus on weeding in this bed for now.  Next year, I'll edge it with whatever perennials are used in the mailbox bed.  I'm especially leaning towards monarda, perovskia, bearded iris, shasta daisies, lavender, rosemary, creeping phlox and thyme.  If I end up using nandina behind the mailbox, I'll probably mirror that in this bed as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment