Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Favorites: Knopp's Farm

Not this past weekend, but the weekend before, we took a quick trip over to Knopp's Farm in Severn.  It's just down the road from Papa John's and in many ways, the farms are quite similar.  They both sell plants in the spring and produce in the summer.  They're both family owned.  You'd think that I would only need to visit one of them, but every year, I always end up going to both and buying plants from both.


Knopp's farm is a little smaller and, in my opinion, has more of a personal touch.  I get a chance to talk to whoever is working to get an idea about how the business is going for the year.  The day we visited was quite rainy but there were still a handful of crazy dedicated gardeners out looking for plants.  As we checked out, the man at the register explained how much a rainy day sets them back.  As long as it was sunny for Mother's Day weekend, he said they'd be fine.  I'm glad they got the good weather they were hoping for.


I got a handful of annuals: some potato vine, some coleus, and a couple of six-packs of celosia and ageratum for our deck planters.  I also got two exotic geraniums - I'm a sucker for foliage and these had the most gorgeous tricolor variegation I've seen.


The main reason I always visit Knopp's Farm is their affordable selection of shade perennials.  Six inch pots cost only $5.00 and are extremely vigorous.  I've had really good luck with their perennials in the past and last weekend I got three heucheras, three foxgloves, and the husband picked out one hosta...



...which was chomped on by a deer as soon as we got it home.

If you're in the local area and have never been to Knopp's, I highly recommend you give them a visit.  They're just off of New Cut road, on Old Oak road in Severn.  There are signs on either side of Old Oak road, so it's pretty easy to find.

If you're not in the area, I found a great interview online with Mr. "Bunk" Knopp on a blog relating to Eastern Market in DC.  It paints a vivid picture of the life of a Maryland farmer and makes me proud to support my local farmers in some small part.

Address:
565 Old Oak Road
Severn,  MD  21144
(410) 969-3620

Hours:
9:00am - 6:00pm daily

3 comments:

  1. That hosta is really attractive. Too bad the deer think so too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. I just love Knopp farm too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and I hope you don't mind me linking to your excellent interview.

    ReplyDelete