Thursday, May 19, 2011

Look what I found: Kalmia latifolia


As I was taking pictures for Bloom Day, I noticed interesting looking buds on a handful of shrubs in the woods.  It's my much longed for mountain laurel!  For some reason, even though I had researched this plant extensively when I was planning the "woodland" garden at the old house, I didn't recognize them in the new yard.  I was expecting them to be more bushy and round like a rhododendron.  My mountain laurels seem like waifs compared to my rhodies.  They're contorted little trees that lean and twist upon themselves.
 
These are deep in the woods, past the end of the forest path, almost to the ravine.  The only things back there are a pile of pavers from the previous owners and my composter.  I didn't really think anything interesting could grow in the deep shade back there, but I'm glad to be wrong.
Possible dwarf form?  Definitely cultivated.
 There's also a smaller, redder, cultivated form in the backyard along the fence line.


It's quite charming and doesn't seem to be affected by the leaf spot plaguing its wild counterparts in the woods.

From what I can tell, this is Phyllosticta kalmicola, or Kalmia leaf spot.  It's a fungus that causes unsightly spots, but no real harm to the plant.  Plants in moist (check), heavy shade (check) are more susceptible.  I'm just going to keep an eye on the spots for now rather than spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment