Monday, May 9, 2011

Look what I found: Salvia nemerosa 'Carradonna' (?)


I found two possible Salvia nemerosa plants in the mailbox bed.  Now that the azaleas are losing their flowers, the tall purple spikes of flowers are very welcome.  The plants are about 18 inches tall with a 12 inch spread.


I thought they might be 'May Night' since it started blooming pretty early for a salvia, but the leaves seem different.  The stems on my plants are a very noticeable purple, which pointed me in the direction of 'Carradonna'.  However, 'Carradonna' isn't supposed to bloom until June.  I guess I'll learn more about it as the summer goes on -- if it reblooms, then I have more evidence for 'Carradonna'.  If it doesn't flop during our typical humid summer, that could be evidence against 'Carradonna'.  Stay tuned!  (I can tell you're on the edge of your seats).

What do you think?  Does this salvia look familiar to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment